Monday, September 25, 2006

It's Getting Closer!!!

Well, it's been a few days since our last post but that is mostly because the last week has been a complete whirlwind! We closed on Wednesday and immediately after that there was a mad rush to pack the house. We had been packing a little here and a little there, but the kitchen had not been tackled at this point and it was time. So Mom and I did it - it took a lot of energy but we managed to finish it by that evening. Honestly, if it hadn't been for Mom and her total drive to get it done, Anders and I would have been still packing.

The next day, Thursday, was load the pallet day. That takes some time. First, you have to figure out which boxes are going to fit on each other and make somewhat of a nice rectangular shape. It's not as easy as it looks, but with Anders and his master packing/puzzle solving skills, we got it done. Mom and Dad showed up with the big truck so we could load them on. Dad had seen movers wrap pallets before, so he knew what need to be done to get the boxes to stay on the pallet. I have some great video of Dad and Anders' little "shrink wrap dance", but I am using my Sister's computer and don't think they have the program for me to upload it (don't think they really want a bunch of Oberg pictures, either - ha!). To see 2100 lbs of pallets on the big truck was amazing. We were able to load only three (thank goodness) and began our drive to the DFW Airport area to drop them off. Now remember - we live in East Dallas. There is only one way to DFW Airport and that is on that nasty interstate known as 635. Of course, everything took WAY longer than expected, so we didn't even begin to drive out there until 3pm. Perfect timing - right at the beginning of rush hour. We had two, what seemed to be insignificant, straps holding these pallets in and they were all over 6 feet tall. Add to that wind gusts of 25-30 MPH and you have yourself one concerned family. But they all arrived in one piece and to say I was relieved would be an understatement.

Once that was done, the only other major task was to clean the house before the new owner took possesion. After deliverying the pallets, our work was certainly not done. We had to put at tons of trash for the bulk trash pickup the next day, plus deliver our bed to Mom & Dad's house as well as take the TV to my cousins and the dresser to my Sisters. By the time we were through Thursday night, I was exhausted. I wanted to sleep the next day but it couldn't happen. Anders and I went to the house to clean it and sort through a few more things. It was really hard saying goodbye to the house and dropping the key through the mailbox. I have no idea how people do that to homes they have lived in for 20+ years - it must be terribly emotional.

Luckily I have my family to support me and Anders during this time. Without Mom, Dad, my Sister and her husband, this entire process would be even harder. Their help these last few days has been soooooo instrutmental in keeping me sane as well as my family. Reagan and Kissel have eased into their new temporary home and don't seem to be getting into too much trouble (speaking of Trouble - as I type Reagan is trying to figure out where my Sister's cat has disappeared to - "I swear she was just in this cat perch - oh there she is!!!!").

Well, no rest today either. I have to drop of the cable box, pick up dry cleaning and a prescription (did I even mention during all this I had a horrible cold/allergy fit?!?!), drop more Goodwill stuff off, eat lunch with my Cousin and turn my car into Carmax.

Hope everyone is doing well - I'll post pictures later once we get our computer up and running in Sweden - for now it's just the written word (I'll try and keep it entertaining).

No comments: