Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Students, Spring has Sprung

In the words my favorite school principal, it truly has started to blossom here in Sweden. Of course, I'd love to show you pictures but our damn camera is still broken. Actually, there isn't much to look at...yet...mostly just city crews cleaning up the mess they made earlier when it snowed. Right now, they are cleaning the streets and sidewalks of all the gravel (usually with one of those leaf blowers pointed directly at slow moving children, elderly and Texans), wood chipping all the branches they cut down um, at the beginning of the year (has anyone heard of snakes!?!?!) and planting the usual seasonal flower. Do I sound a bit pessimistic? Perhaps, but that's because anyone who even has met Ms. Mother Nature knows she'll slap our hands a couple of times more before she lets us enjoy ourselves.

Naturally, I've been a bit MIA. I realize that a lot of it has to do with that damn camera. I just fill uninspired to write anything without some type of picture to go along with it. But then, I sit my butt in front of this computer and the brilliance just flows!! HA! But seriously, I did do a bit of work last week so I am going to use that as my excuse for not posting for 3 weeks! What's that you say? You have a question about my work? Oh, I thought you'd never ask. ;-)

Last week I went to Switzerland and Holland to recruit international graduate students from hospitality schools to work in the USA as international interns for none other than the good old Hyatt Hotels Corporation! Yes, that's right (my fellow co-workers reading this) - despite your attempts to mark "Not Eligible for Rehire", I slipped through the cracks and they actually allowed me to be the face of their organization (along with a few other poor souls). No, but seriously, all kidding aside. I had an amazing time. I felt so blessed and proud to be asked to help out and it felt REALLY good to work again. Recruiting and interviewing is something that comes naturally for me and I enjoyed the trip immensely. I saw the southern part of Switzerland (who knew there were so many vineyards) as well as the Amsterdam airport (we were there less than 24 hours and the majority of my time, other than recruiting, was spent there)! It was just a one time deal, but maybe with so many other properties opening up, they will be able to utilize me in both the domestic and international side. Keep your fingers crossed.

Aside from that, life just keeps puttering along. I'll update you more in the coming days but I've got to get dinner on the table ASAP. Anders is late, starving and ready to eat!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica & Anders:

First let me apologize for taking so so long to contact you guys. I spoke with Debbie Fam yesterday, and she reminded me that you guys have your own blog. I've spent the better half of the morning getting all caught-up. Now if I understand your recent comments, are you recruiting for Hyatt in Switzerland? Fill me in on all of the details. That sounds like a terrific opportunity for you Monica. I saw the picture of Reagan, and I thought she was a black lab. Or am I hallucinating? Send pics from Sweden, and I sincerely hope that the two of you are loving every minute of being home. If you need a good laugh, read this letter below about becoming an illegal immigrant. You'll enjoy it.

Take care. I miss you guys.

Judy from Boston


Subject: Becoming Illegal - this is priceless[Scanned]

Original Becoming Illegal: An actual letter from an Iowa resident and sent to his Senator

The Honorable Tom Harkin
731 Hart Senate Office Building
Phone (202) 224 3254
Washington DC, 20510

Dear Senator Harkin,

As a native Iowan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue
Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted
the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S.
Citizen to illegal alien stems from the bill which was recently
passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay
taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two
years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellentresult for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local
emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year.

Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the
burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome
car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I
still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become
illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,
Donald Ruppert
Burlington, IA

Get your Forms (NOW)!! Call your Internal Revenue Service
1-800-289-1040.

Please pass this onto your friends so they can save on this great
offer!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Not Eligible for Rehire" I love it!! I can't believe Chaplowe missed that considering I wrote it in block letters on your file! So happy to have you back in the Hyatt family, send me some interns!

Dan

Anonymous said...

I think we are definitely going to get more snow, so I'm laughing at all the people in their gardens pretending it's Spring. And I keep telling my friends in Texas, "It's 48 F and people are riding their bikes and think it's time for summer here.

Glad you had such a good trip! I hope you will get more work like that in the future!

See you soon!

-Heather