Monday, November 27, 2006

Happy Monday!

I am such a loser - I didn't take ONE picture of the Thanksgiving meal but I can tell you it turned out really well. The Champagne cocktails were DELICIOUS - you must serve these at your next party. The cinnamon, sugar, orange mixture you put on the rim of the glasses is so good that I am using the leftovers in my coffee - ha! The rosemary cashews (from Barefoot Contessa) were so yummy too. I am always amazed and pleased that her recipes NEVER let me down. The turkey turned out perfect, the gravy just as delicious, the cranberry conserve - well, I think my Dad would like THIS recipe (another BC one). I also served green bean casserole (no fresh green beans here so this was an excellent substitute), mashed potatoes, deviled eggs (Mom, I swear you usually serve these), stuffed celery (you should have seen me making these - my family knows the pain these cause me every year) and individual stuffing. I made the stuffing and put it in ramekins for everyone. I didn't want to waste it and I also had heard from my American friends that Swedes really don't like stuffing. Well, not my Swedes. They loved it and everything else. Even the pumpkin pie turned out awesome. I had to bake my own crust (this time I used Martha Stewart) and learned that evaporated milk does exist here, just in the milk aisle. I was so pleased with everything and so happy it turned out good. Of course, we have leftovers and I have already made turkey tetrazzini last night and will be making turkey pot pies tonight.

The rest of the weekend was spent lounging around. Because Johan and Johanna spent the night, we made a typical American breakfast the next day (fried eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns - unfortunately they were not "scattered, smothered" or "covered"). I then spent the ENTIRE afternoon (it was a rainy day and maybe I was a touch hungover) watching seaon 2 of Project Runway. It's a show I didn't get into when I lived in the US but for some reason it was really interesting (maybe b/c it was the only english speaking program on?!? HA!).

Saturday night we went out to eat in Stockholm and had a very typical Swedish meal. I started out with pumpkin soup (not so typical, except they served it w/ salad greens as a garnish?!) and then had deer with a chanterelle sauce. I've had reindeer in the past but never deer. It was so delicious and nothing like I thought it would be. In fact, it is a lot milder than beef and really tender and lean. Anders' had this thing called gubbröra which is basically an egg salad with lots of anchovies - not too impressed and I think it was one of those moments for him where he thought he liked it and missed it, but once he got it he realized it wasn't as good as he remembered. For dinner he had elk meatballs. Now, I know what you are thinking - gross - but they were really, REALLY good. Again, a milder taste than beef and really tender and lean. I was so impressed.

Sunday was another lazy day and I finished watching Project Runway. Gunilla and Jan stopped by for a quick breakfast and to drop off some things. Again, another typical American breakfast but this time with scrambled eggs. I also got Gunilla and Jan to try salsa with their eggs instead of ketchup which they seemed to really enjoy.

This morning has been an active one already. I decided to go run on the trail again near our apartment and take the 5k route this time. It is even more beautiful but also more hilly. I started a little fast (of course, Reagan was with me and she pretty much drags my butt for the first 10 minutes or so) and got a little competitive with some of the other runners on the trail (i.e. I can't let THAT lady beat ME!) but I managed to finish it without hurting myself. What's that...you want to know the time? Well, let's just say it was subpar and I need to get out there a little more than once a month! HA!

I hope everyone had as relaxing a weekend as I did. Tomorrow I am meeting the American girls for lunch and a walk around a new shopping center near Stockholm. Wednesday I will start looking for gray hairs since I will be 1/2 way to 70 and Thursday I will spend putting up Christmas decorations and trying to figure out where to buy an artificial tree.
Love,
Monica

No comments: